Looking forward to attend the “Expert Meeting on mobile innovations and local governance” on Tuesday, October 25th 2011, that will take place at the Royal Tropical Institute in Amsterdam. The objective is to “discuss and define key conditions that need to be taken into account for mobile innovations to contribute to strengthening citizens’ participation and local governance in Sub Saharan Africa” and to create opportunities for further knowledge sharing and concrete collaboration on particular mobile innovations. Questions that will be discussed:
- What is the role of mobile technology for citizenship and local governance?
- What happens when mobile consumers become citizens, organize themselves and participate in politics, public decision making, monitoring and reporting?
- What are the impacts of these mobile innovations on political and social change?
- In particular on behavioral and institutional changes regarding voice of citizens and accountability of public and private institutions?
- How can mobile phones support inclusive democratization processes and what are the related risks?
- How can we overcome the ‘pilot‐then‐die’ syndrome characterizing many ICT4D initiatives?